Early Summer Walk, Sunday 17th April, 2016 - A Stroll Around Helsby
Leader and Reporter: Ann Wright
See or post photographs from the walk on the Yahoo! site.
Eight members, two friends and two dogs met at the Netherton Hall Pub (where walkers are welcomed) on a cool, sunny morning.
The original building on this site dates back to 1325.
We crossed the A56, walked up Carriage Drive, and up the stairs adjacent to the red sandstone cliffs of Jacob’s Ladder. After crossing the golf course and a short distance on Simons Lane we turned right, walking alongside the golfers’ practice area, affording lovely views across the Mersey estuary. We crossed the farm road to Higher Mickledale, turned right onto Manley Road, right again at Shepherds’ Houses, dropping into woodland and turning left onto the Sandstone trail. On reaching The Ridgeway we turned right, then first left into Burrows Lane, bearing right onto The Longster trail. After a short distance on Frodsham Road we continued on the trail to picnic area on Hill Road North, (fortunately unoccupied!) for lunch in the sun.
After lunch we continued up Hill Road North, onto National Trust land, to the summit of Helsby Hill where "What a view" was exclaimed as anticipated. Underfoot, but not visible, is the site of an Iron Age fort from about 100BC, a perfect vantage point from which to repel attack.
We walked down from the hill through gorse and woodland to Old Chester Road, turning right onto Bates Lane, then via snickets to Chestnut Lane. After crossing Tarvin Road we took the footpath alongside woodland signposted to Frodsham. On reaching the first footpath of the day, we turned left retracing our steps to Netherton Hall, where we enjoyed refreshments sitting outside in the sun.